TikTok debuted in 2017 as Musical.ly. It was merged and rebranded as TikTok in 2018. TikTok was the most downloaded app globally in 2021, with 656 million downloads and over 1 billion active monthly users globally.
Alma Mutheu joined TikTok in 2019. She has over 437,000 followers and a whooping 11.3 million likes.
She talks about bullying on the App and how the App has changed since 2019. She advices new TikTok users to be themselves and so much more below;
Q. DESCRIBE YOURSELF, IN YOUR OWN WORDS
I am a God fearing, authentic, unstoppable beautiful woman with a goal and purpose in life
Q. WHEN DID YOU START USING TIKTOK? DO YOU THINK THERE’S AN AGE LIMIT?
I joined TikTok in 2019 January date 19 and I genuinely think that anyone can do TikTok videos, just that there are set rules where really young people are not allowed to sign up.
Q. HOW HAS TIKTOK CHANGED FROM THEN?
There has been so many updates and changes made on TikTok, like now we are able to record more than 3-minute videos and we can easily access filters and sounds easier than long age. This is good.
“I’ve been approached by many Kenyan artists who want song promotions but they want you to do it for free or send you credit I mean…“
Q. DO YOU THINK KENYANS ARE EMBRACING TIKTOK ARTISTS AND WHAT ARE SOME OF THE CHALLENGES YOU FACE ON TIKTOK
- Yes, actually they use us to advertise their brands which is amazing and of course sometimes it’s challenging when we don’t get rewarded as agreed and people expect us to do things for free. Sometimes they forget we are at work just as they are.
- I’ve been approached by many Kenyan artists who want song promotions but they want you to do it for free or send you credit I mean…we are both at work and they should respect that
- There are bullies on TikTok and yes there are haters who have nothing to do other than sit and think of hateful comments to leave on people’s pages.
Q. TIKTOK IS GROWING FAST WORLDWIDE, HOW DOES IT COMPARE TO OTHER APPS OR WHY DO YOU THINK THIS IS SO
Because TikTok is a very free app that supports people of all ethnicities and also rewards our efforts. For example, when I make a good video on TikTok it gives others the opportunity to gift me. A TikTok gift can be converted into money and can be withdrawn
This is a motivational tool for us creators to keep creating.
I personally love it
Q. WHAT DO YOU DO WHEN YOU ARE NOT ON TIKTOK
When am not on TikTok am either eating or sleeping
Sometimes am reading
Q. WEIRDEST TRENDS YOU HAVE SEEN
Am not even an outside. a TV nor a fashion person that much so am not sure I’ve seen any trends yet
Q. WHAT’S YOUR VIEW ON DRUGS AND ALCOHOL?
I do not use drugs and alcohol and I would not advise anyone to do it
Q. WHAT’S YOUR TAKE ON THE KENYAN ENTERTAINMENT INDUSTRY
I will say that we should genuinely pick artists and not work through connections. Many people out here are talented and we wake up every day to audition for that show which we are sure we will never be picked because there are connected people who have already been picked, I think this is wrong and we will remain dormant if we keep using connections instead of genuine talent. Otherwise, we are doing great
Q. WHAT DOES PROFESSIONALISM MEAN TO YOU IN THE MEDIA INDUSTRY
First of all, I don’t think there is any professionalism in the media industry which is sad
Q. WHO ARE YOUR FAVORITE TIKTOK PERSONALITIES
I am my favorite TikTok personality and I love what I do and am doing great. Thank you God.
Q. TIKTOK APPEARS FANCY AND SOME PEOPLE MIGHT BE MISLED BY WHAT THEY SEE, WHAT’S YOUR ADVICE TO NEW TIKTOK USERS
Do not be fooled by TikTok. Whatever you have is enough, use that and do you and do not be pressured to live a certain kind of way because you saw someone on TikTok do it. There’s a lot of fake faces on social media and the only thing to do is BE YOU
Q. ARE YOU SINGLE OR RATHER WHAT ATTRACTS YOU TO A GUY
A person who is self-driven and God fearing. Only that shows me how far we can go
(Would you rather)
Q. WOULD YOU RATHER BE ALWAYS FINANCIALLY SATISFIED OR ALWAYS LOVED
I’d rather be financially satisfied.
Q. YOU WISH THERE WAS THE MINISTRY OF………………………………………………………. WHAT WOULD YOU DO WITH IT?
I know this is unexpected but I wish there was a ministry that supports the LGBTQ+. This is a society that needs love too and not depiction all the time
- MAKE UP – Makeup makes me look good but the time it takes to apply it is too much and I can also go without it but it’s great, 7
- MUTURA – I know am about to annoy most of you but yes; I can never eat that. 0
- DIANA B – She’s good. Do your thing girl, 7
- TWITTER – I really hate the hate and anger that people portray on that App like you can’t say you’re beautiful in peace without someone coming at you, Smh, 5
- TIKTOK – This is my best app so far because I am able to showcase my talent freely plus I get rewarded for it, 8.5
- CROCS – I don’t have any, am not a fan, 5
- WIGS – These are life savers!! When you’re called for a meeting and your hair is not done that’s when you know the importance of a wig, 10
- Alcohol – 0
- Weed – I don’t see the importance of Alcohol or weed. Drugs are definitely not healthy and shouldn’t be advised for use, 0
- Sex – It’s important at the end of the day but don’t do it anyhow, 8
Alma Mutheu on TikTok
Alma Mutheu on Instagram
Alma Mutheu on YouTube