Meta released its `2022 Africa Year in Review, on 22nd Dec.
The company captured some of its investments and initiatives in Sub-Saharan Africa across innovation, its support of SMBs and Creators as well as its work connecting communities; showcased through an infographic and short video, this highlights Meta’s ongoing milestones and successes across the region, whilst reinforcing its continued investment and commitment to Africa.
- Facebook Reels – Launched Facebook Reels across 20 countries in Sub-Saharan Africa to help creators monetize their crafts, connect with, and discover new audiences in News Feed and Groups
- Facebook Protect – Rolled out Facebook Protect in Mauritius and South Africa, a programme designed to provide increased protections around the world for journalists, activists and human rights defenders
- ‘Future Africa: Telling Stories, Building Worlds’ – In partnership with Africa No Filter, announced the six finalists of the programme aimed at boosting the use of Virtual Reality in Africa’s storytelling
- #ReelAdventures – Created #ReelAdventures aimed at highlighting adventure-focused groups in Kenya who use reels to express themselves and share their travel experiences
- #NoFalseNewsZone – Launched a campaign and comic books across Ghana and Francophone Africa, aimed at helping people to think critically about the messages they see and read online
- Made in Africa, Loved by the World – Unveiled our 2022 international campaign aimed at celebrating Africa’s ongoing growing cultural impact on the world, whilst spotlighting eight amazing creators and innovators from across the continent, including rolling out Africa’s first Instagram #AfricaMade Reels challenge
- No Language Left Behind – Unveiled our single AI model that translates over 200 languages, including 56 African languages
- Creators of Tomorrow – Spotlighted and celebrated emerging talent from around the world who are inspiring a new movement of creative content online, including here in Africa